Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Worthy




"My dear young lady, there was a great deal of truth, I dare say, in what you said, and you looked very pretty while you said it, which is much more important."
“A Woman of No Importance” Oscar Wilde

What is a person worth? and how is that measured? What is self worth?

As a child it was expected of me to be successful in all I did. Assumed even. This didn't inspire me, or even motivate me. It wasn't a support or even a comfort to know that my parents expected excellence. On the contrary. It gave me the attitude in life that whatever I tried to achieve I would always fall short. In fact, why try at all knowing that I would always fail.

So what is a pretty boy worth?
Status, pride, bloodline .... an investment for old age?

What is a beautiful young man worth?
Status, sex, vitality .... to be bartered and traded? Shared and handed round?

And a handsome man?
Status, sex, money .... to be invested in, collecting dividends until he is sold on.

So how much is self worth? In cash? In pride? In status?

No comments: