Friday, January 9, 2009

Demons



"Nothing's gonna harm you
not while I'm around.
Nothing's gonna harm you, no sir,
not while I'm around.
Demons are prowling everywhere, nowadays.
I'll send them howling,
I've got ways."

"No-one's gonna hurt you,
no-one's gonna dare.
Others may desert you,
not to worry,
whistle, I'll be there."

"Being close and being clever,
ain't like being true.
I don't need to,
I would never hide a thing from you.
Like some ...."
From 'Sweeney Todd'

This is the song I used to sing to myself in my head when things got really bad during the 'Herman' days. When he was being raped every day by his German ex and I was helpless to intervene. Herman had decided that resistance was futile and had forbidden me to intervene. He had, in fact, emasculated me. In this way he forced me to watch, or at least listen to his degradation in a state of utter despair.

Every night I would lie on my stretcher bed in the attic and listen to the shouting and screaming below. Formless words in a language I did not understand. 
Then the silence. 
Then the grunting. 
Then sleep.

No comments: