Saturday, January 3, 2009

In Memoriam



Gerard Boels
7 March 1957 - 1 November 2008

I only found out today when I emptied the mail box and found the new Hivnieuws.

Gerard is finally dead. Why finally? Because he fought it all the way. From the moment I first met him almost 30 years ago up until the last moment I saw him just before his birthday, his unique mix of stubborn refusal to accept defeat and hysterical enthousiasm have always typified him for me.

We met when we met, we didn't when we didn't. We weren't friends but we definitely weren't strangers. I think we both knew more secrets about each other's lives than most people close to us.

I remember his refusal to even entertain the idea that he might have aids, so long ago, I'd already lost Herman to aids and he knew that but still he wouldn't talk about his own vague symptoms, aches and pains.

He'd disappear for months on end when he felt ill (ugly), and then re-appear as if nothing was wrong.

I found him again years ago at the Aids Fund, a different person.
Poz + Proud.

I won't miss him every day, because I never saw him every day, But the world will.

No comments: