Friday, July 24, 2009

Friendship




An ever-recurring subject for me, and I suspect many others with me.

What is a friend? Lord knows.

I have no reference points anymore to define what a friend is.

That's not completely true I'm afraid. So just before I dive into the chasm that is self-despair I have to admit to myself and the world that I do have one friend who is truly beyond question a 'friend'.

This doesn't mean I'm getting away with anything of course. I still have to define what, at least what I, mean by the word.

I feel myself immediately going on the defensive here .... comments flit through my brain like 'no I don't mean unconditional love', or 'someone who is always there for me? That's impossible. Isn't it?'

Its like trying to define love for god's sake. I end up with a description of some kind of a holy ideal bordered and restricted by compromise.

A friend is always there for you when you need them - but of course not always because they have their own lives too.
A friend shares your innermost thoughts and desires - except of course not all of them because then they might think you were crazy.
A friend will always stand beside you - unless you're wrong. At least in their eyes. Or the eyes of their friends of course.

Give me a rare few. A rare few good men. Strong and true. Strong in mind and deed, true of heart and soul.

No comments: