Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Dancing



I haven't danced for years. Not the monkey shuffle that passes for dancing in the gay circuit, but 'proper' dancing.

This for a former Gold Medal winner Ballroom and Latin American West Midlands region of (approx.) 1974 ....

I haven't Tap danced since the New York run of BlooLips in (approx.) 1983 ....

My last Classical Ballet lesson was 1979 (that one I know for certain).

In New York I was part of a group of gay male dancers who, led by a fiery Cuban named Juan, performed the Tango male to male. I loved it, the passion, the power, the strength was incredible. And yes it was incredibly sexy to do and to see. Its really hard, if not impossible, to not get seriously physically turned on when holding and being held by a man for considerable periods of time in positions that defy convention.

But the power of it .... just the speed made control essential, and the strength that was necessary to maintain that control was immense. This was no malleable little woman being shuffled across the parquet floor, these were big strong men wrestling to keep themselves and their equally strong partners from flying out of control.

The equality of men with men was something I have always remembered. Something so traditionally 'nancy' as ballroom dancing as a true expression of the power, strength and passion inherent in the male.

But I've no idea where I could do that sort of thing now. Not in Amsterdam anyway.

No comments: